Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Road Trip Days 13 and 14 and 15 - Orangevale, CA

Buckley backyard oasis
The trip from San Luis Obispo to Orangevale was a quick one with few stops.  This entire trip I have been trying to avoid the big 70-mile an hour highways but I needed to get to Orangevale for a BBQ by 12 noon so took the easiest route up Hwy 5.  The hills are golden brown.  There were a lot of fields that were not planted this year and many orchards being taken down because of the lack of water allotted to the farmers.  I imagine the price of food that comes from the California farms will be a little more expensive this year.

Anyway, I am so very glad to be back here in Orangevale where Joe and I lived with the girls from 1974 until I moved to Indiana in 2005.  And to spend some quality time with my very best friend and Sista, Karen, is priceless! The Buckley house is like Grand Central Station with family and friends coming and going constantly.  So much fun!

Joe's Marlin
Mountain Lion
Besides this beautiful yard, the Buckley big game room is unbelievable!  Brian is a big game hunter and has just about every kind of wild game represented in this room.  He has hunted all over the world.  The marlin was caught in Cabo San Lucas the November of 2000 by Brian and Joe.  I call if "Joe's Marlin".

Kathy, Me, Sib and Suzie!
I went by my old house on Mississippi Bar Drive just to see how it looked.  The trees have grown so much and the house still looks fabulous.  Good to see that the new owner is loving it as much as we did.  Also got to connect with some dear friends from the Fair Oaks Swim Team days and a special little sewing group we had that met weekly.  We have lost some from the Sewing Group but what serendipity!  Suzie Harms, Sibby Cramer, Kathy Sullivan and I were able to get together and catch up with our lives.  It is such a treasure to have friends who never change but for the better.  We picked up as if we were still meeting regularly when, in fact, we have not seen each other for many years.

This has been a fabulous oasis for the 3 days and a wonderful trip down memory lane.  Also, a great chance to do some laundry.  Thank you, Karen and Brian!!  Tomorrow, Day 16, I will leave and head north and east up through Lake Tahoe, Reno and on to lovely Elko Nevada.  Not because Elko is a destination but because that is as far as I want to drive tomorrow.  Maybe there are some fun quilt stores on the way.....

Over 3,000 miles so far!  Onward ho!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment