Thursday, May 14, 2015

CASA Quilt is Done!

 The quilt is done!!

Whenever I complete a project like this, I have very mixed emotions.  The quilt becomes a message, especially when I make it for a specific person or group.  To me quilts are more than a lot of pieces of fabric sewn together.  They are kind of like life - a lot of very different pieces put to gather in the right way can become something beautiful.  Anyway, this quilt is definitely made up of a lot of different pieces.  I estimate that there are between 75 and 100 different fabrics in this beauty.

I have a theory about why quilts are so loved.  I really like the weight of the quilts even in warmer weather.  Studies have been done that measure the levels of serotonin that helps to calm anxiety and stress.  Weighted blankets and vests are used for therapy for depression and anxiety because they have found that the serotonin actually increases and calms the person.  My grand puppy, Shelby, even has a Thunder Vest to hug her when there are thunder storms so she will not be so distressed.  So... it is a proven fact that quilts are not only works of art but they are a necessity!!

Back to the quilt.  The quilting on it turned out quite nice, if I must say so myself.  Ruler work straight lines on the dark and the classic Surra fill stitch that looks like swirly feathers on the light areas.  The edges are finished off with a sweet and subtle piped binding.



Closeup of quilting
Quilting and piped binding

The quilt needed something to store and carry it before it reaches it final home with the winner of the CASA raffle.  This bag is made from a burlap coffee bean bag given to me by the Pourhouse Cafe on Kirkwood in Bloomington.  The trusty Bernina embroidered the motto for CASA, "Safe Homes, Safe Kids" on it.  Perfect!
Quilt in a bag
 I am told that the quilt will hang in the Showers building for the month of June and that raffle tickets will be available for purchase June 20.  The drawing will take place at the 4th Street Art Festival in September.  I hope everyone likes it and buys many, many tickets!  My goal for CASA is to raise $5,000 with this event.  Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20.  Let me know if you want some!!

Now.... this quilter is heading out on an Epic Road Trip to California and back!!!  I am so excited.  First stop - St Louis, MO!

No comments:

Post a Comment