Monday, May 18, 2015

Road Trip - Day 6 - Alamosa to Durango

Strater Hotel in Durango Colorado
Chimney Rock
Day 6 was a short drive in miles from Alamosa to Durango, only about 150 miles.  The road took me up into the mountains and back down again through some very beautiful country.  I woke up this morning with a headache.  First I thought it maybe was the double margarita at dinner the night before but it was most likely the altitude.  Alamosa is at 7500 feet in altitude.  Not sure how high the passes were but the ears were popping.  On the way, I could see Chimney Rock in the distance.  Tried to get closer but I think unless I want to climb it or camp near it or fight the Indians on the Ute Reservation, this is as close as I could get.

The views from the road were grand!  It is so very hard to capture the sights with my iPhone camera.  The grandeur of this country is hard to explain.

Got checked into the Strater Hotel and went to the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge RR station to get my ticket for the trip tomorrow.  I decided to take the train up to Silverton and back, about 7 hours total on the train.  It is supposed to be raining and possibly snowing up in Silverton tomorrow.  But the temperature will be in the mid 40's.  I'm hoping there are not too many people on the train.  It seems pretty quiet here in Durango as the tourist season has not yet really started.
Railroad station

There was time this afternoon to go to the RR Museum and watch a short documentary film on the railroad.  The D&SNG is one of the only narrow gauge lines still running.  When Cindy lived in Colorado Springs, Joe and I came through here and I remember standing in the train yard with him.  The trains were not running that day about 20 years ago and Joe was very disappointed.  He absolutely loved railroads.

The museum is fabulous.  It is a must see if you get to Durango.

Bedroom at the Strater
The room here at the Strater Hotel is a definite step back in time (except with wifi).  It is an old hotel that is a registered historical landmark.  Absolutely beautiful!  Check out this bedroom furniture!

I promised Sara Hosea that I would try to find the crushed penny machines on this trip.  Found one today with the railroad on it.  Here you go, Sara!

There are two quilt stores here in Durango.  I was going to check out the Durango Quilt Company today but will put that off until Wednesday when I leave for Utah.  Found a yarn and knitting store, though, and got some more yarn.  Just what I needed!

Tomorrow early in the morning the train pulls out and the number 3 car and I are going to be on it!  So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment