Sunday, May 17, 2015

Road Trip Day 4 - Kansas



Headlines when Roosevelt died




Truman Library in Independence MO

Day 4!  The weather has been kind of challenging.  Kept watching the reports with wind, rain, lightning and chance of tornadoes across Kansas.  Oh my!  Was I going to become a Dorothy and maybe meet the wizard?  Not to worry.  Westward ho!

First stop was back to the Truman Presidential Library in Independence MO.  What an amazing history lesson.  I was born in 1944 so have no memory of most of this but feel like I was a part of this era.  I remember the first time that the electoral college vote was broadcast as it was happening in 1952.  My brother and I had a map of the 48 states and donkey and elephant stickers.  As soon as a state declared the final tally we got to put the sticker on the map.  I remember that Dwight Eisenhower won that election and our parents were very happy.  I thought I took a picture of one of the radios but guess not.  Looked kind of like this but without the screen.
Next stop was Hutchinson KS.  My good friend, Becky Lomasney used to own a quilt store, Cottonwood Quilts, in Hutchinson.  Just had to say I'd been there. The store was absolutely beautiful and very well stocked.  I met a lady, Marilyn, who said she took her first quilting class from Becky there in 2006.

Cottonwood Quilt Store in Hutchinson KS
I really thought Kansas was going to be flat and boring.  It is really a beautiful state.  The rain in KS can be a bit like driving in a car wash at times - kind of scary.   But it was lots of trees and gentle hills.  My route was Interstate 50 so just a 2 lane road.  Not much there, but beautiful!
Hwy 50 through Kansas
Arrived in Dodge City KS right on time and almost out of gas.  There is not much between Hutchinson and Dodge City in the way of gas stations!  Anyway, all is well on the Epic Road Trip.  Today, Day 5, will take me out of Dodge and to Fowler KS where my father was born, to the Dalton Brothers Hideout (which I think is not open until 1 on Sundays) and then on to Alamosa, CO.


Westward Ho!!

No comments:

Post a Comment