Thursday, May 28, 2015

Road Trip Day16 - Orangevale CA to Elko NV

Buckley purple front door
It was time to leave my friends in Orangevale and move on.  Day 16 took me up Hwy 80 out of Sacramento and north of Lake Tahoe to Reno and then eastward across some amazingly boring scenery of northern Nevada.  I have driven this road so many times and it has never been a favorite.  So I decided to try to find some treasures along the way.

Donner Lake
Just before the summit coming up from Sacramento is Donner Summit and Donner Lake.  It is really spectacular!  The Sierra Nevada Mountains are very special.  The line across the mountain in this picture are covered train tracks so the snow does not slow or stop the trains during the winter months.  Donner and Truckee are some of the coldest places in the US most winters.

Covered train tracks at Donner Summit
I have actually ridden a train up to Reno on these tracks and it is a very fun trip!

Winnemucca quilt shop
Next stop was Winnemucca Nevada.  The quest was for quilt shops in unexpected places.  I found a gem of a quilt store in Winnemucca.  Who would have imagined!  It was the Comfy Cozy for You Quilt Shop.  Very fun stop.

Baby Juliet Buckley
When I got to Elko Nevada, I could not find a quilt shop.  Bummer.  Tomorrow, Jennifer Surra-Dayley and I are planning to hit the quilt shop in Rupert Idaho on our way to Pocatello after lunch.  I will spend a couple of days with family in Pocatello before heading up to Cody Wyoming by way of the Teton National Park and Yellowstone.  Almost 4,000 miles so far.  Very fun!!

Onward........

No comments:

Post a Comment