Friday, August 23, 2013

Road Trip 2013 Day 12

Here I am at the end of Day 12 of my road trip adventure in Media, Pennsylvania. First, though, I have to include a picture of the sunset last night from my window on the tenth floor of the Marriott Courtyard in Niagara Falls. I was kind of feeling sorry for myself that my room was not facing the falls. Then this gorgeous sky reminded me not to miss the beauty around me no matter which way I am facing. 
 
It was a very good feeling to be coming back across the border from Canada to my country. The Rainbow Bridge is only 2 lanes crossing south and there were only 5 border gates open so it took about 30 minutes to cross. Here is the view from my car on the bridge. 

Again, the border guard was a Mr Grumpy Pants. Maybe the one just out of Michigan and this one are related. Anyway, after questioning me about what I purchased in Canada (I did not declare my 3 Starbucks mugs) I confessed that I had some fudge in the cooler. Apparently fudge is not subject to customs tax and I was allowed to pass. Whew!
 
The drive was supposed to be 394 miles and take about 7 hours.   I chose a route that took me through the beautiful little farm communities in New York state and the Allegheny mountains of Pennsylvania. The goal was to avoid the big cities as much as possible. It took more like 9 hours but what a beautiful country!

Again, my total lack of a sense of direction added some miles and time on the day's journey. When the annoying GPS lady said to stay to the right as I got on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I followed instruction as I heard it. Apparently I missed the part about the "second" right and found myself going north instead of south. It is hard to describe how totally frustrating this is so I will not try. When I explained my problem to the nice man in the toll booth about 8 miles to the north, he said, "Pay the toll, make a u-turn around these cones, take another toll ticket and try again."  Seems I may not be the only one to have had this problem, eh. 

Anyway, here I am safely checked in at the Harrington B & B in Media, PA where I intend to stay until I run out of clean socks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment