Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Road Trip 2013 Day 10

Not much today except a lot of driving from Sudbury to Niagara Falls. My day started with a stop at the Best Buy to get a Garmin for the car. My cell service is not working in Canada and my sense of direction has never worked. The lady in the Garmin is annoying but so very helpful. 

The next stop was at a Starbucks where I picked up another mug for the coffee bar collection of Starbucks mugs.  This one just has Canada on it, not the city name but it will fit in just fine!

Before leaving Sudbury, I had to find the Big Nickel. Sudbury is a mining town, very industrial. The town is actually built around a very big hole in the ground that is a nickel mine. The Big Nickel represents the main product and economy of Sudbury. 

The GPS lady got me back out of Sudbury and on the Road south toward Toronto. I was amazed at the amount of road construction going on. Mile after mile- or I should say kilometer after kilometer. 

And then I got to Toronto. The road construction was not programmed in to the Garmin and my GPS lady sent me on an interesting drive. Now I really do not mind driving but in a big city at rush hour not so much!  It took us 1 hour to go about 5 miles on the QEW. Makes me really appreciate traffic in Bloomington. 

Here are a few observations about Canada and Canadians:

Canadians spell center "centre". That is so very British  

Canadians pronounce the word "about" to sound like "aboat". "Out" is "oat" and so on. 

Canadians finish sentences with "eh". It's like they want to make sure the sentence is ended, eh. 

So I think I had way too much time driving and thinking today. 

Niagara Falls is crazy with tourists right now and I am one of them!  Tomorrow I booked a trip through the Marriott to see all the highlights of the Falls. There were only 6 signed up when I checked with the concierge. That could be a very good thing ..... or not. Tomorrow will be another adventure, I am sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment