Thursday, October 17, 2013

My Grand Adventure 2013

This is so very exciting and a little scary at the same time. I am calling this my Grand Adventure.  It all started with an invitation from my Brazilian Rotary exchange Student daughter, Martha Camillo Jordão to come to Sorocaba Brazil to attend her graduation from medical school. It has been almost nine years since I have seen this remarkable young woman and I cannot wait to give her a hug!   Some friends who now live in Bend, Oregon devised a plan to travel to Brazil by way of a 17-day cruise from Florida to Santiago Chile then fly to São Paulo Brazil.  Now, I have never been on a cruise before so this sounded like a wonderful adventure. And through the Panama Canal, no less!  Even better!

There is a lot of planning that goes into a trip like this. I could not find a travel agent who seemed willing to help me with all the details so I set out to educate myself on cruising and travel in South America, especially Brazil. Long story shortened, I got my visa from the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago, have been immunized against just about everything except malaria and have acquired a new wardrobe of clothes appropriate for dressing for dinners and shore excursions and balls and graduation ceremonies.  Just getting my house in order for me to be gone for 4 weeks gets complicated. Whew!!  

Today was the big day.  Got to the airport in plenty of time, at least, I thought I had. On line check in was easy and boarding passes printed. However, since Southwest merged with AirTran, there is no quick way to check bags. There were 100 people at the ticket counter waiting to check bags for various flights. Thank goodness Southwest knows how to keep lines moving!  I was  trying not to panic but got through just in time to board my flight to Fort Lauderdale by way of Atlanta. Makes me wonder why we check in on line and print passes when it all gets repeated at the ticket counter. Oh well, it all worked out so I must refrain from trying to reorganize the airline processes. 

 

So here I am in Florida looking out off my balcony at the beautiful beach. Wow!  The Atlantic Ocean is sure passive compared to the waves off the beaches of my beloved island paradise on Kauai. 
 
Had to put my feet in the water. So warm!  

This looked fun but, been there, done that in Cabo several years ago. Don't need to repeat.


Hotels as far as the eye could see down the beach.  
Tonight is a full moon reflecting on the water,  very beautiful,  

I can see the cruise ship coming in to port to the south of the hotel. My camera could not capture it in the dark but it really is spectacular to see. Oh my gosh,  tomorrow I will be on board truly on my way for the Grand Adventure of 2013!!!  I am so excited and kind of nervous.  Hope I can sleep tonight......


 

 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the blog report. It is so nice to be following you even though I can't be there.

    ReplyDelete