Saturday, June 6, 2015

Road Trip Day 25 - Aberdeen SD to Council Bluffs, Iowa

A quilted car cover!  Someone has too much time on
their hands!
Day 25 of the Epic Road Trip started in Aberdeen, SD.  I wanted to see the Dacota Prairie Museum there but it did not open until 1 pm and I had planned to be on the road by then.  So I looked up quilt stores in town and found the Fabric Bin on Main Street.  The sign on the door said they were not open on Saturdays after April 18 but the lights were on and the door was open so I ventured in.  Turns out that there was another quilt show going on and the store was only open because of that!  Wow, did they have some deals.  70% off if I finished of the bolt.  I managed to finish off 5 or 6 in a very short time!  
No white gloves at
the quilt shows
Just a quick note about the Lickety Split Quilt Store I visited in Lusk, WY.  I got an email saying they were temporarily closed - flooded out.  Very sad.  I guess the whole downtown area of Lusk was under water Thursday June 4.

Anyway, since the museum was closed, what else was there to do but to head over to the local very old high school to the Aberdeen Quilt Show!  The high school reminded me of the school I went to in the early 1960's.  Very fun!  Great show put on every other year by the 3 guilds in town.  Again, there were no "white glove" ladies.  When you buy a ticket to get in, you get a disposable plastic glove.  Brilliant!

Pie covers for Treasures
Also, both in Rapid City and in Aberdeen, the show was put up with pipe and drape, not quilt racks.  The quilts were hung using plastic skirt hangers. The bigger the quilt, the more hangers.  Might be a good idea for the BQG show in 2017 for hanging the smaller quilts. Their treasure shop used plastic pie carriers for some of the fabric.  Some really goody ideas! 

The quilts were not as spectacular as Bloomington but still was really fun to see.
It is almost 400 miles from Aberdeen to Council Bluffs and I do not drive at night so had to take I-29 and bullet my way down through South Dakota to Nebraska/Iowa.  And look what greeted me at the Marriott Fairfield Inn in Council Bluffs!

Tomorrow is Sunday, Day 26, and I doubt there will be anything interesting to see that is open on a Sunday.  The Midwest kind of shuts down on Sundays.  Next stop will be Peoria Illinois because that is as far as I want to drive in a day - 390 miles.  Then back home to Indiana on Monday.  I think I am ready to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment