Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Road Trip Day 20 - Cody Wyoming to Hartville Wyoming

Buffalo Bill Center, Cody WY
Chuck wagon
The Epic Road Trip Day 20 started out in Cody Wyoming.  First stop was the Buffalo Bill Center of the West.  What an amazing place!  There are actually several museums here.  The nature museum is an amazing collection of the animals past and present in the Yellowstone and Plains area.  The Indian wing had a fabulous collection of artifacts and some very impressive displays of living conditions for the Plains Indians.  The Center has the largest collection of guns dating back to pre-revolutionary times.  It is massive!

The last area I visited was the Buffalo Bill memorabilia.  As you enter this area, there is this smoky steam stuff coming out of the door way to the right and an image of Buffalo Bill speaking is projected onto the mist.  Fascinating and kind of eerie.  You can barely see it in this picture.

Friends and Company
I could have spent another 3 or 4 hours here taking a tour and enjoying all the history.  But it was getting close to noon and I still had a lot of seeing to do on my way to Hartville.  But, before I could leave Cody, I had to find the Friends & Company Quilt Company.  It was one of the Top Ten store several years ago.  I met the owner, Vicky, on the beach on Kauai.  She was knitting and so was I and we starting talking.  Turns out she owns this store and I promised myself I would visit the store if ever I was in Cody Wyoming. Wow!!  The store is absolutely fabulous!  It is jam packed with fabric, samples and toys.  Very impressive!  I did find a few treasures to bring home.
Tunnel Wind River Canyon

Oops!  Landslide
The drive from Cody took me through the Wind River Canyon Scenic byway out of Thermopolis.  Absolutely beautiful drive.  The canyon walls are really steep and there were indications of lots of landslides.  One actually took out the railroad tracks on the other side of the Big Horn River.  The road went through three short tunnels.  I love roads through tunnels!

The rest of the drive was across the Plains. Montana claims it has "big skies" but the sky of Wyoming was bigger than anything I have ever seen.  The storm clouds were forming to the east and I could see the rain coming down and the lightning was magnificent.  I kept thinking about the story Lonesome Dove and the wagon trains.  Part of my route was along the Sand Creek Massacre Trail.  The history of the west between the white settlers and the Indians is not a very pleasant one.

Scott with stack of Crown Royals bags
The destination for Day 20 was Hartville, Wyoming, which has a population of 76 and is about 13 miles north of Guernsey.  Hartville is the oldest incorporated city still in existence in Wyoming.  When my nephew Scott and his wife Christine moved there, they increased the population by 3%!  Anyway, they now own the Miners and Stockmans Tavern and Steakhouse which is the oldest tavern still operating in Wyoming.  The place is another museum!  It is wonderful!  The ceiling tiles are not the original but are reproduction of the original ceiling.  The back bar is beautiful and was made sometime in the late 1800's.  Christine mentioned something about making quilts with Crown Royal bags and I said that Jenni was making one.  Turns out that they had a stack of the bags!   Bonanza!!  Now there are enough the finish one quilt and probably make another!

Scott is one of the best cooks ever!  He does all the cooking for the restaurant and I was treated to a fabulous steak dinner.  Just the three of us - the restaurant is only open Thursday through Sunday.  It just doesn't get much better!

I get to stay here in Hartville for one more day to see and explore the history around this area of eastern Wyoming.

Another amazing day on the Epic Road Trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment