Thursday, June 4, 2015

Road Trip Day 22 - Hartville Wyoming to Deadwood South Dakota

Scott with his Auntie in Hartville
Lusk Wyoming
Starting into the fourth week of the Epic Road Trip and still so much to see.  I said my goodbyes to Scott and Christine in Hartville and headed north to Devil's Tower.  First stop was a little town called Lusk.  And guess what I found?  A fabulous little quilt store!  I just got a call from Scott and found out that the towns of Manville and Lusk are under water from 8" of rain last night.  I really hope this little store is okay.  And I am very glad I left Hartville when I did.  Scott says the road is closed from Hartville up past Lusk because the bridge washed out.

Devil's Tower
The road north was through some absolutely beautiful ranch country.  There were almost no cars on the road and that is what I like!  Heading towards Devil's Tower, I did not know what to expect but just knew I wanted to see it.  Oh my!  This is amazing!  The rock formation is about 800 ft from the base to the top.  It is not a volcano, but a bulge in the magma from 50 million years ago.  There are a couple of bulges still covered with dirt that I was told will be more of these towers in another 40 or 50 million years.  Lots of rock climbers tackle this and one guy decided to parachute down to the top of it.  Not too smart.  He was stuck there for 6 days until some climbers could get up to rescue him.  Lesson here:  Plan ahead!
Belle Fourche museum

Geological Center of the USA
115 year old store
From Devil's Tower I turned east into South Dakota and set out to see the Geological Center of the Country.  Twenty miles outside of Belle Fourche is the actual spot in someone's pasture.  I drove all the way out there but could not see the flag that was supposedly planted on the spot.  Back in Belle Fourche is a wonderful little museum and monument.  And even a sewing machine in the museum!  On the way there, I passed the site of the Custer Expedition campground and an old store that had been open for 115 years!
Falls on Spearfish Scenic Byway
in Black Hills

I took the Spearfish Scenic Byway down into the Black Hills National Forest to Deadwood.  It was absolutely phenomenally beautiful!  The recent rains have kept everything green and lush and the streams are full.  Unbelievably breathtaking!

I am starting to think about all the things I want to do when I get home to Bloomington.  Still so much to see, though.  Maybe a few more days.....

The Epic Road Trip continues.  Onward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment